Friday, August 28, 2009

I Have Never... Been A Bikini Model : Mashoom Singha

Been A Bikini Model

Sitting Pretty: Mashoom Singha, supermodel

Cruel heat partnered in crime by a barren landscape, ramshackled walls and sweaty work conditions. What's glamorous about that? Enter celebrity photographer Jatin Kampani, Elle fashion magazine editor Nonita Kalra, make-up artist Mehra Kohla and a white-and-gold Louis Vuitton bikini. Just like that, a stellar team had transformed Colaba's rundown mill into a potential glossy magazine cover. Oh, and I was there too.

It wasn't the first time I was going to feature on the cover of Elle Magazine, but I was still excited as hell. We were shooting a summer fashion spread for the next issue. I could feel the heat.

Shot 1:

I tried my best to look unfazed in the scorching Mumbai heat. The sea on one side of Mukesh Mills provided some respite, but the multiple coats of bronzer I was breathing under had the upper hand. Flanked by Jatin and the Elle crew on one side, and local fishermen onlookers on the other, I stood tall in the middle, clad in nothing but a bathing suit. The day had just begun. I had five more changes to go.

Shot 2:

The next shot entailed a different look, but the same location. I was required to sit pretty on a couch. Sounds relaxing? Not if the couch is mounted on a taxi! The photograph needed to be taken from a certain angle, so to make matters easy for the photographer (and worse for me), the cab was slightly elevated. I was trying my best not to lose my balance, and deliver the desired expression at the same time.

Shot 3, 4, 5 and 6 continued - a montage of bright summer wear, bright lights and bright sun - the scene evaporated. Couple of weeks later, it all solidified into one glossy magazine cover (and spread), hot off the press. Seeing the pictures in print and on hoardings, I felt a great feeling of accomplishment. A happy rush I can't describe.

Fear of Flying
Another interesting magazine cover shoot I did was for L'Officiel in 2008, where I was posing for Jatin Kampani's camera once again. We were shooting on the terrace of a service apartment building in Colaba. What you can see in the picture is a flying model (me) in a pink bikini against the panoramic view of the Arabian Sea. What you don't see is that I was jumping up and down on the building's tanker, my fear of heights doing nothing for the fun. Every time I jumped, I felt like I was going to fall off the edge. But part of being a model is not letting your fears surface, while you strike a connection with the lens.

Happy Face

If you are happy while doing a photo shoot, it shows in the picture. Even if you aren't flashing a toothy grin at the camera. When I think back at my first magazine cover shoot (and the subsequent ones), I can't help but smile. They were great fun - a flurry of behind-the-scenes excitement, nervousness and sheer talent.

No comments:

Post a Comment